"St. Michael's Episcopal Church is a biblically-based Church growing in the knowledge and love of our Lord Jesus Christ and sharing that love with others."
History of St. Michaels'
The first meeting to organize was held in January 1959 at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Jack Martin. Fr. Galen Onstad read evening prayer. There were fifteen people in attendance. On February 1, 1959 we held our first service in the Anderson Scout Hall, with Fr. Onstad celebrating.
In the summer of 1959 George Carpenter came to us right out of seminary. In August the present site (seven acres and a house) was purchased. The rectory was remodeled for church services and for living quarters for Fr. George. The house served this dual purpose until the present church was built. In November 1959 the first services were held in the present rectory.
In September 1959 we voted to change the name from The Church of the Epiphany to St. Michael’s.
In February 1962, a meeting was held at Diantha Kannier’s home to discuss a new building; Allyn Martin was chosen as the architect.
December 29, 1964: First service in the present building. Fr. George Carpenter was our Vicar.
June 20, 1965: Fr. Robert L. Shearer became Vicar.
Spring, 1968: Barry Goedert Memorial Patio was completed.
April 10, 1966: Anita Dickinson bell tower was dedicated.
September 28, 1969: Fr. James W. McDonald became our Vicar.
February 18, 1973: Fr. Charles L. Poole became our Vicar
March 15, 1979: The application for St. Michael’s to become a parish was approved by Bishop John L. Thompson.
Fr. Charlie Karoly served as Interim Priest between Fr. Poole and Fr. Jim Wilson.
July 1996 Fr. James Wilson became our Vicar.
A variety of supply priests served St. Michael’s between Fr. Wilson and Fr. Roy Auelua.
Sept. 2003 Fr. Roy Auelua joined St. Michael’s and served until his retirement in May 2016.
St. michael's episcopal church
St. Michael's Episcopal Church 3001 Rupert Road Anderson, CA 96007 530-365-9152